A review of my one month old Singer Talent 3321 Automatic Sewing Machine after sewing five sari blouses. This review is made by a manual sewing machine user designer after buying her first automatic sewing machine.
Namaste Dear Tantu Reader!
How are you? Enjoying spring? We have been to Aditi Garden last Sunday, the day before Yugadi (First day of Lunar Calendar) to watch the spring colours. Yugadi was the day of first blogoversary of The Arts & Me, my arts blog. And, when this post gets published, we would be heading to our native, Mangaluru. Yes, these are very busy days! April would almost get over when we are back to Pune. I miss visiting and reading my favourite blogs 😦
Anyways, enjoy the scheduled posts till I come back. Today’s post is all about my Singer Talent.
We bought Singer Talent 3321 on 2nd of March 2014 from Sri Balaji Sales & Services. My friend Ms. Vidya Sharada had given information about the dealer. Thank you for your kind suggestions Vidyakka!
Shri Balaji Sales & Services are one of the authorised dealers of Singer, Usha and Novel Sewing Machines at Pune. They even offer free home delivery (that is rare for sewing machine purchases). Moreover, he is a Mangalorian, who knows Tulu. We were given 2+2 years warranty for our machine along with a discount of 3,300INR on the MRP of 13,700INR. The extended warranty was given as a part of seasonal offer from the dealer.
Our R&D Before Purchase
I had a motorised Manual Novel Sewing Machine. Novel Sewing Machines have recently become popular in my native, Puttur (Dakshina Kannada). We had Googled and noted Novel Automatic Sewing Machines 33 and 55. We had also noted Usha Allure, Usha Wonder Stitch and Singer Talent.
I strongly wished to buy either Novel Automatic 33 or 55. But, the dealer suggested buying either Usha or Singer as quality and life of Novel machine motors are not up to mark. Usha and Singer service centres are located all over India. Usha machines had less features compared to Singer. So, finally we went for Singer.
Where To Buy?
I suggest you not to buy sewing machines online. Whenever you need any assist, your dealer is readily available for you! But, before going to the dealer, do compare the prices online. Singer India has a list of dealers in their website. So, you can easily find the dealer nearby your place.
Features of Singer Talent
Singer Talent – What I loved:
A lot of time saved because of:
- Easy top threading. No threading into holes. The thread guides are designed in such a way that slides through the guides lock the thread firmly.
- Automatic needle threading.
- Easy bobbin winding.
- One switch reverse stitching. Plus point is that stitch length settings remain unaffected.
- Snap-on presser foot.
- Twine needle functions
- Embroidery stitches that can also be used as functional stitches for beading, hemming, blind hemming, cording, gathering, over casting, etc.
- Quilt guide.
- Button stitching & button hole stitching functions (I have been avoiding stitching shirt only because of these two tasks)
- No oiling required as such. Once in a year when roughness is felt while sewing, then oiling of the feed dog is necessary.
- Automatic thread cutter: I am not a true lefty but, I hold scissors in my left hand. Picking my trimmer and replacing it is a troublesome task while using a right-handed sewing machine (of course most of the sewing machines are designed for the right handed people). Automatic thread cutting feature is helpful for the lefties as I have observed 🙂 .
You can imagine how fantastically my Singer Talent swifts, looking at the following photo. I have sewn 5 sari blouses within a month in addition to managing my two blogs! Funniest fact is that I take double the time to prepare posts for blogs than making the projects!
Did I tell you that these blouses are designed for me as a preparation for attending my brother-in-law’s wedding?
Drawbacks of Singer Talent:
It is too early to say something. I didn’t find any drawbacks as such till today. My automatic sewing machine is of medium range and this is the first domestic automatic sewing machine of mine. So, I am not the right person to write a review on comparison between high-medium-low ranges even though I have seen industrial ones.
Since this is my first automatic sewing machine, I was cautious for a day to adjust to the shift from manual to automatic. I have used the machine everyday and may be hence, I picked the changes up within a day. This transition period may vary from person to person. The more frequent the use is, the less the transition period is.
Still, I would suggest the beginners:
The needle hole is wider and lengthier supporting making of advanced stitches. So, fabric must be placed slightly to the back, covering the needle passing hole. If not done so, the fabric puckers and thread loops itself.
Manual V/s Automatic Sewing Machine
Both manual and automatic sewing machines have their own plus points.
- Manual machine is comparatively slow but steady. Automatic one is faster.
- Manual machine requires lots of human effort. Even motorised manual machine requires a little human effort. But, the automatic one is highly smooth due to advanced technology.
- Machine speed balancing is very important for stitching slowly in sensitive areas or faster in other areas. It is the most difficult part for most of the beginners (80%) while learning sewing with the manual machines. But, in automatic ones, beginners can easily learn how much to press the foot speed controller. I have 11 years of sewing experience in manual machines and only a month in that of automatic ones. To me, speed controlling is comfortable in the manual sewing machine. May be I need to get more used to the automatic machines.
- Manual machines need no electricity or even motorised manual machines can run without electricity. Just a treadle is required. But, automatic sewing machine needs electricity for sure.
- Threading is tedious in manual sewing machine especially every time the thread is to be changed. Similarly, automatic threading, reverse stitching switch, one snap presser foot, button stitching-button holing, various presser foots (zipper foot, beading foot, overcasting foot, hemmer, and other functional foots) cut a lot of human effort. Of course, all the functional foots except the foots provided along with the machine cost about 5oooINR in total. No bobbin case required for the automatic sewing machines with easy top drop bobbins. Overall, automatic sewing machines save time a lot.
- No regular oiling is required for the automatic machine. Most of the thread tension adjustment problems, pressure adjustment problems are nil in automatic sewing machines. But, when (very rarely) some problems arrive; the machine is to be taken to the service centre unlike the manual machine that can be maintained by us.
- Over all the advanced features of automatic machines, one who has learnt sewing in the manual sewing machine would usually have a special feeling for the manual one. Some of my fellow bloggers have even dumped their computerised/programmable machines for the love of sewing with the manual machines! Such is the deep love and affection for the manual sewing machines!
So, finally, I would conclude that Singer Talent is one of the best automatic sewing machines of the medium range to own. I hope and wish my review may help any sewer while buying their first automatic sewing machine.
Enjoy the spring! Bye for now!