This DIY tutorial is about making an inexpensive and easy to make multi-purpose multi-compartment organiser for arranging innerwears and handkerchiefs by up-cycling small cartons. This small organiser consisting of four compartments can be arranged in different ways in different closets. So, no messed-up racks now onwards!
Dear Tantu Reader,
How are you? It was raining heavily here in Pune for weeks together. It rains unexpectedly and heavily in the afternoons. Sometimes there are power cuts and sometimes I cannot keep the laptop on 😦 Sometimes internet becomes damn slow! Hence, it happened that I missed a weekly post in the middle. I am not even able to check my accounts other than WordPress and G mail… Sorry, if I haven’t replied for any of your comments yet. Lots of projects are in progress. I know, you are looking for some DIY tutorial. So, here is an easy to make multi-purpose organiser tutorial for you.
My Multi-purpose Multi-compartment Organiser
I made this multi-compartment organiser to organise innerwears and hankies better. Everything I had set up was getting messed up while pulling one out. I keep every carton that comes home in any way and recycle it. You know that if you have read about my sewing kit. I took some of the cartons out and made this organiser on 30th January 2014. I have been using this type of organisers since then and I am absolutely happy with them. This organiser can be used upright with horizontal or vertical compartments. These organisers can also be used as drawer organisers too.
I didn’t have any idea of availability of innerwear organisers and drawer organisers in the market, when I made them. It was when this post was in publishing mode, I found them in the Google search. They are so cute but making something ourselves is fun. Hand made organisers are highly inexpensive too! Below is the DIY tutorial for you.
- Difficulty Level: Very Easy
- Time required: 10-15 minutes
- Expenditure: Very less, count only gift wrapper and glue.
- 4 Small cartons of same size (More sections can be made using more cartons. But, making with 4 cartons is ideal to organise it any rack or in drawers. I have taken rasam powder cartons here.)
- Paper Glue or multipurpose glue
- Gift wrapper sheet
- A pair of scissors
Steps to make the innerwear and hanky organiser?
- I sealed the flaps of the carton opening firmly with glue.
- I glued the four edges of the carton top and placed another carton firmly on it. Similarly, i glued and fixed all the four cartons one above the other. (Please note the triangular white paper strips on the top carton. This white strip indicates the gluingposition.) The organiser is ready.
- The organiser looks good when covered with a gift wrapper. I used plain white paper for the same as shown. I glued the paper sides together.
- I slashed the paper at the dividing areas of the organiser compartments as shown.
- Then, I inserted the slashed parts of the cover inside the organiser as shown.
- I closed the remaining part of the organiser cover at the backas shown. If the wrapper edge is little to cover it completely, you may also stick a separate rectangular piece of the same size as the back.
- I took 3 rectangles of white sheet having the width same as the width of the organiser. I folded them in the middle. Then I glued and stuck to the three sections of the organiser as shown.
- Innerwear or Hanky Organiser is ready to use! You can keep them facing up in a drawer. Or you can place them upright with compartments forming wither rows or columns.
Do write to me if you find this organiser tutorial a useful one. You can share your own or collected organising ideas to us! Sharing is caring! Will share more organising ideas sometimes!
Take care! Bye until the next post!